Q: SUV getting only 15 mpg

Previously, my SUV was getting 22-23 mpg city and highway. Now - I’m only getting a combined 15 mpg! It has approx. 18,000 miles. I’m driving the same, but slower and with less acceleration which is probably due to the loss of mpg. The SUV now gets 240 miles on 15 gallons - just Awful!! I first noticed the problem with I was changing the air filter and oil/filter. Another problem is that when driving, it seems to randomly pull left or right. In the past 1 ½ weeks I had an alignment,rotation/ balance, plus put the air filter in. None of that was any help. I’ve taken it to the dealership and they tell me nothing is wrong, but all they did was plug it into the computer. They didn’t really look at anything. In your expertise, could it be a warped or bent rotor, disc, or caliper?

It is possible that your tire pressures may be low and went unnoticed by the technician who last serviced your vehicle. I would recommend having your tire pressures checked because, if they are low, it could potentially cause both of the issues that you are experiencing.

Another factor that may relate to your gas mileage problem is a clogged fuel filter which can cause the engine to run slightly rough and not allow the amount of fuel necessary to reach the engine. If the correct amount of fuel is not able to reach the engine it will run incorrectly and not be able to go as far on the same amount of fuel.

I’d recommend having your car looked at by a qualified mechanic, they will be able to diagnose your poor MPG symptom and make the necessary repairs in order to get your car running efficiently again.

3. SUV getting only 15 mpg