Q: SUV experienced low acceleration and loss of power

asked by on July 27, 2016

I was driving around 30 mph and without warning my SUV began to lose acceleration, which led to a loss of power. I took it to my local mechanic but he wasn’t able to diagnose the problem. The same low acceleration and loss of power has happened four or five more times. Before I find another auto repair shop, could you give me ideas of what might be causing this problem? Thanks.

Hello. There are a few possible problems that might explain the problems you are experiencing with your 2009 Saturn Outlook. There could be a problem with the catalytic converter in that it may be clogged. The catalytic converter is like a filter for the exhaust and when/if it is clogged, the exhaust can’t pass through it which may result in a loss of power and then an engine shut off.

It is also possible that there is a problem with the electronically controlled throttle body. The throttle body is what allows the proper air/fuel mixture when the gas pedal is pressed. If the throttle body isn’t operating properly, the car won’t accelerate and you may experience a loss of power and an engine shut off. Have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come and complete an inspection to pinpoint the cause of your car’s loss of power.