Q: Speedometer broken; warning lights on

The speedometer is not working, and the ABS, brakes, and ESP Lights are lit on the dashboard. Sometimes the Check Engine Light is on as well. I'm not sure if the ABS module should be replaced.

Greetings! When a Check Engine Light goes on then off, a trace of what caused the light to set will usually be left in the vehicle’s computer. A technician should retrieve the codes in the computer to see if there are any indicators as to what is causing this light.

The wheel speed sensors are the likely cause of the ABS Light, ESP Light, and for the speedometer not working. The ABS system relies on the wheel speed sensors to safely stop the vehicle, and to provide traction control assistance to the driver. An ESP Light being set is an indication of an issue in the traction control system; the ABS computer will have a code stored in it that will help indicate the issue, so I suggest that a technician retrieve the ABS codes as well. The speedometer also relies partly on the wheel speed sensors to calculate the speed of the car; if there is a wheel speed sensor problem, the vehicle may not be able to calculate its speed.

Being that there is an ABS and traction control system issue, it is best to not drive the vehicle, due to safety reasons. You may benefit from a mobile automotive repair company, such as YourMechanic. They will send a technician to the vehicle’s location to perform a thorough diagnosis of your Check Engine Light, and other warning light issues, then recommend the best path to repair.