Q: Steering Rack/Gearbox Replacement

hi. How does mechanic raise my car up so he can replace Steering Rack/Gearbox Replacement in my driveway? do 2 front tires need to come off?

A: When replacing the steering gear or rack &a...

When replacing the steering gear or rack & pinion on a vehicle, it is necessary to raise and secure the front two tires of the vehicle off the ground. This is done with a floor jack and two safety jack stands. The front wheels are removed to gain access to the tie rods that need to be removed from the steering gear, as well as the knuckle assembly so the steering gear can be removed

Depending on the make and model of the vehicle, the technician will need to work under the dashboard, under the hood, and underneath the vehicle in order to perform this repair. I’d recommend having a certified mechanic help you with this steering rack and gearbox replacement to insure a proper repair.