Q: Steering Lock

I can't start my car as message displays " Steering Lock" Try Again". I have been at it for two hours by inserting/removing the key fob and no luck so far, any help on what might be please? Many Thanks, Antonio

Hello. Thank you for writing in. The first thing we need to know is if the steering wheel is actually locked. Does it spin freely to both sides? If not the wheel is locked and you do need to unlock it before starting. To unlock the wheel, you need to turn the steering wheel back and forth and determine what direction feels "springy". This is the direction you want to turn the steering wheel as you turn the key in the ignition. Now if the steering wheel is not locked, then you may have an issue with your clock spring. This is the device that allows your steering wheel to use electricity without tangling the wiring terribly when the steering wheel goes back and forth. At this point you will need to do electrical testing. However due to the airbag, you will want to be extremely careful, and it may be wise at that point to seek professional help.