Q: steering column shaft is hitting the wall to the left and right when turning.

My issue is right where the U-joint is that connects the steering wheel to the rack and pinion, whenever I turn the wheel to obviously make turns, it'll hit the walls either left or right, and cause me not to be able to turn and if I try and put to my strain the u joint pops off the rod of the rack and pinion. I feel like something just isn't straight and is causing the issue.

Hi there. Check the locking pin to the steering column shaft and make sure that it is locking to the input shaft to the rack and pinion gear set. If the lock is engaged and the shaft is coming off the u-joint, then the shaft may be broken. If the whole assembly is coming off , then the lock may be broken or the splines on the column shaft could be rounded off. If you need further assistance with trouble shooting your steering issue, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• steering column shaft is hitting the wall to the left and right when turning.