Q: Steering box play, squeaking noice after adjusting.

Hi, I have quite a bit of play in the steering of my wrangler. If I turn the steering wheel the pitman arm barely moves for the first bit. I concluded that due to wear and tear the wormgear needed adjusting. After doing that, when turning the steering, there is a cracking/squeaking noise coming from the steering box. Does this mean the steering box needs replacing? It made a little noise before adjusting but its gotten worse. Thanks!

You first need to check to see if the steering gear input shaft from the steering column universal joint having excessive play. If it is worn, then replace it and then reset the play in the worm gear to see if it can be adjusted without binding. Otherwise replace the steering gear assembly. The safest route may be to have a professional take a look at the car in person to make a diagnosis of your steering wheel issue before moving forward with repair.