Q: Starting issues. My car won't start right away after sitting over night or for a few hours.

Hello my name is Antonio. My problem is my 2007 Dodge Durango 4.7 SLT won't start right away after sitting over night or for a few hours. After the engine is warm it starts right up. What is my problem??

When you say that it won’t start, are you saying that the starter doesn’t turn (aka it doesn’t crank), or are you stating that the vehicle attempts to start (or turns over) but fails?

These are two different issues. The first is likely a battery or a starter issue. Most likely you are referring to the second option. If the vehicle cranks without starting, then you have a fuel or spark issue.

Have you attempted to turn the key to the "On" position for a few seconds before you crank it over? If the fuel pump is not functioning at its best, it may need a moment to prime before the vehicle starts. When you do this, make sure you are listening for the pump priming. You should be able to hear this (but may need to be closer to the gas tank).

Poor electrical connections and weak batteries are also an issue for cold weather. If this seems to be temperature related, you may want to have your battery tested.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians will be able to diagnose your starting issue at your home or office and help you fix it accordingly.

• Starting issues. My car won't start right away after sitting over night or for a few hours.