Q: Starting issues in 1996 Cadillac Deville

1996 Cadillac Deville. It's not starting. It sounds like the starter doesn't spin the engine fast enough. Can a starter just be worn out? Batteries are good and wire connections are good.

Sure, it is 20 years old. Twenty years later, they can just wear out. You want to hope that it is the bad starter and not the worn-out engine because a worn-out engine will crank at the wrong speed, but so will worn-out starter. Try replacing the starter and pray that it’s just a starter.

Of course, a weak battery or a bad connection would do that, but you’ve said that battery and connections are good. You want to double check the connections because sometimes they get clogged and they use a little bit of power too. That’s a simple thing to do on a car that’s 20 years old.

If you need help with any of this, the technicians at YourMechanic can help you inspect your starting issue so that you can have this problem resolved correctly.