Q: Starting Issue - 2006 Jeep Comander

My Jeep won't start right away when it is cold. I turn the key and it just clicks once. Lights all work etc. Battery 1 month only, engine was put in brand new 3500 miles ago. I have heard that there is a recall on the ignition or maybe the starter?

A: Hey there. A starter, like any other mechan...

Hey there. A starter, like any other mechanical and electrical part, is subject to failing sometimes for no apparent reason. However, sometimes this is misdiagnosed as well and often times mistaken for something much more simple like a fuse, relay, or starter solenoid. The starter solenoid is located on the starter and has internal electrical contacts that transmit electricity to the starter. When this fails, it may cause a clicking sound and will not allow the starter to engage the flywheel when you turn the key. If you would like to have the fault verified, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to inspect the starting issue and follow through with a starter replacement if necessary.

Recommended services
Get a Quote