Q: Starting a engine without transmission installed

asked by on March 30, 2018

I have the transmission removed from my truck it's a 1992 Ford ranger 5 speed manual 4l engine. I bought the truck with a bad clutch so I'm changing that, the slave and master cylinder, and the flywheel. My question is can I start the truck the engine removed if so what do I have to and what parts do I need to reinstall before doing so.

If the starter bolts to the transmission bell housing, that component would have to be re-installed. If the starter bolts to the engine block, then you can use the starter as is to start the engine. However, it is likely that a transmission mount, now removed of course, normally supports part of the engine weight and/or keeps the engine in position. The engine would have to be securely supported and restrained prior to starting it. It would be better to re-install the transmission once you have finished with the clutch repair and then start the engine. If the gas in the fuel tank is more than three months old once you get to the end of this project, be sure to drain the tank and start with fresh fuel. If you need assistance, please request service and the responding certified mechanic will assist you right at your location. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.