Q: Starter not turning

The starter in my truck does not turn to start the motor. I just hear a click when the ignition switch is turned to start the vehicle.

A: Hi there. If you hear a click, then the fir...

Hi there. If you hear a click, then the first thing I typically do is find where that click is coming from. Most of the time, the clock is the starter trying to engage but it is unable to crank the engine. If this is happening I typically will try turning this engine over by hand at the crank pulley. If I cannot move it, then it needs an engine. I see this engine fail all of the time. If the engine is fine and it is the starter making noise, then the starter or the connections at the starter may be bad. If the clicking is coming from the fuse box, then it may be a bad relay or the battery may be failing. Some electrical tests would need to be performed at that point. If you are going to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the issue and recommend a repair.