Q: Stalls when shifting and oil leak issue. 2000 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG

My car has 160,500 miles on it and runs great. I get 20 miles per gallon in the city and 25 miles per gallon on the freeway. The cruise control stopped working a few weeks ago. If I accelerate really hard – step on the gas flooring it - the car will stall with a complete loss of power but then recovers. If I accelerate gently there are no issues. The gears don’t shift smoothly. They shift with a jerk/pause. The engine leaks oil. I’m not sure if it’s a leaky oil level sensor or a bad gasket. The engine mounts need to be replaced. Do you have any ideas or suggestions? What should I do?

A: First, check to see if the brake light is o...

First, check to see if the brake light is on when the vehicle is running in park. If the brake lights are on or the brake is pushed at the same time the gas pedal is pushed, you will get all of these cruise and drive issues. The transmission may also be affected by this.

As far as the oil leak goes, you should have it checked to see where the leak is and get it repaired as soon as possible without letting the engine get too low on oil. Replace mounts only after oil leaks are fixed since the oil leaking on them caused them to go bad. To have all of this taken care of, you could enlist the help a certified pro from YourMechanic. They would be able to inspect the stalling and oil leak issues and replace your engine mounts as necessary.