Q: Speedometer speed display problem, possible skipping

I have an odd issue going on. When I'm driving, no matter what speed, and with or without cruise control, the speedometer will drop. Example: If I'm going 65, it will drop to around 30. The car's speed stays consistent, but sometimes it feels like the engine "skips". I've been to my mechanic repeatedly. All the wiring is good. They ran some computer checks on it, and the issue was supposedly with the cluster in the instrument panel. They replaced that whole thing, but the problem is still happening. If it isn't the instrument cluster, what else could it be?

A: You will need to take it to the dealer for ...

You will need to take it to the dealer for them to flash the engine control module (ECM) per technical bulletin 18-001-08. A reprogram is needed to correct the ECM programming for the proper cluster speed readings. You have to take it to the dealer because only they have the scan reprogramming tool. This is not a recall so you may be charged for the cluster reprogramming. However, there may be an active recall for the ABS on this vehicle which involves reprogramming that module, so I suggest checking with the dealer to have it done at the same time. There should be no charge for the ABS reprogramming as that is related to a recall.