Q: special battery?

Does the battery need to be bought at the dealership? I have a 2014 elantra limited. is it a special battery? Can i get it at auto zone?

Hello there, thank you for asking about your 2014 Hyundai Elantra. Car batteries are generic, except the very sophisticated battery packs used in electric or hybrid electric vehicles. In terms of physical size, capacity, and terminal type and position though, you have to buy a battery of the right "classification" that fits your model. It is important to buy from a battery brand that is reputable; independent rating agencies like Consumer Reports have already gone through the trouble of testing them in laboratories. Your car is very new and therefore should not need a battery this early in its life. Typical OEM batteries will last 5 to 7 years. That means in ordinary circumstances you should not need a battery until 2019 at the earliest. Therefore, make sure you have a battery shop (or YourMechanic) load test your existing battery so that you do not prematurely replace it. You also should have your car’s charging system tested just to make sure that you do not have an issue there that might have caused your battery to fail early or be discharged. YourMechanic can advise you as to selecting a good battery and also check your charging system.