Q: BMW needs a new battery. Can I replace it myself? the dealer says no. BMW 2011 750li xdrive

The dealer wants over $600 to replace my battery which costs $185 at autozone, advanced auto parts, etc. I'd like to replace it myself but the dealer says the battery needs to be programmed to my car specifically. I heard someone say that as long as the car doesn't get completely disconnected from a power source (i.e. use jumper cables connected to another vehicle maintain power while switching out the battery) the switch should work. Can you assist? Thank you. Daryl

Hi - your friend is correct. As long as 12v is maintained to the vehicle electrical system, preserving all sort of settings and programming (without shorting cables, etc), yes, you can replace your own battery. There are even specialized accessories just for this task. I would recommend a battery replacement by a mobile, professional mechanic trained in this procedure, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, and swap your battery for you.

3. BMW needs a new battery. Can I replace it myself? the dealer says no. BMW 2011 750li xdrive