Q: checking a car's battery

My car's battery is 5 years old, and even though it is still operating correctly, I would like to be proactive in detecting any problem that may occur in the future. Will a check-up find if anything is suspect in the battery ?

Hi there. First off, we’re glad to read you want to be proactive about replacing your battery. Depending on the service check up you have completed, it may include a battery charge inspection. However, a good rule of thumb is to change your battery every three to four years to avoid battery-related problems. As a battery ages it doesn’t always lose a charge, but it does lose cranking amps. By replacing the battery every 3 or 4 years, you can reduce the potential of starting issues significantly.

3. checking a car's battery