Q: Sometimes I have to jitter the key after I turn it all the way or the car will keep cranking or die just to get it started

Especially in the morning or just starting it during errands, car won't start right. She will crank but won't turn over unless I jitter the key or let her die so I can start her over again-in which case she starts right up. I have been to the dealership and a dependable automotive shop many times with this problem. They all tell me the starter and alternator are good. I have replaced the battery, spark plugs, fuel pump, fuel filter, etc. The ignition hasn't been replaced-could it be this? What actually is wrong? -Baffled in Poughkeepsie,NY

A: A worn ignition switch assembly is the most...

A worn ignition switch assembly is the most likely cause. A heavy keychain may be putting excess strain on internal components, causing the ignition switch to wear out prematurely. A certified technician, like one from YourMechnic, will be able to diagnose your starting issue and give you a quote for repairs.