Q: Installing an external horn because the original horn is not working

I would like to install an external horn in the car since my original horn is not working. The horn diagnostics quoted me a high fees to replace horn assembly and horn relay which I am not comfortable paying now. My car is in perfect condition and all I need is an external horn so I can pass virginia state inspection.

What would be the cost and where can I get in the market?

Hello. There are several types of aftermarket horns that you can purchase and install. There are a few aspects you will want to consider before you look to purchase one. Different styles of horns are designed to have toggles switches, push buttons, or hook up to the steering wheel like the old horn.

The switch or button for the horn, and how much work you want to do to install another switch is a main concern. You will want to decide which type you would like.

Secondly, the sound of the horn is another concern. Some aftermarket horns are meant to be cute or decorative. They are not the standard sound of a car horn. Modern car horns are designed to hit many different frequencies for the hearing impaired.

So the sound of the horn you buy may need to pass your state’s "horn regulations". Considering you are doing this to pass an inspection, you will want to verify that with the state motor vehicle department. To have this done, you can have this service completed at a local dealer’s service department, or have a technician from YourMechanic replace the horn for you.

3. Installing an external horn because the original horn is not working