Q: Check Engine and Service 4 Wheel Drive lights on.

asked by on December 29, 2015

The steering wheel is hard to turn and the Check Engine and Service 4 Wheel Drive lights are on. It has been a while since I have changed my oil or gotten a tune up.

Hi there. These issues that you are having would not be related to a tune up or oil change, though they should be done if they are over due. Since the check engine light is on you need to start by having the computer scanned for codes. This can be done with a scan tool. This will help to identify any codes that the computer is seeing as a problem. From the symptoms, this is typically caused by a loose drive belt causing the alternator to not charge and the power steering pump to not spin correctly. I would enlist the assistance of a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, that has the knowledge to do this.