Q: So I need a total tune up on my car! I was wondering if I could replace my spark plugs now and wait till next week to replace the coils?

My car hesitates to gain speed and putts... I was wondering if I only replaced the spark plugs and not the ignition coils, will it get me through til next week until I'm ready to replace it fully?

Hi, thanks for writing in. Yes, that will not be a problem at all. If the coil is tested and is within spec there is no reason to replace it at all - I recommend using it. A fouled spark plug doesn’t necessarily mean the coil is bad. It would be worth testing the coils before buying something you don’t need.

If you would consider, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and troubleshoot your ignition system and service your ignition coils and spark plugs as necessary. Good luck!

3. So I need a total tune up on my car! I was wondering if I could replace my spark plugs now and wait till next week to replace the coils?