Q: So I need a total tune up on my car! I was wondering if I could replace my spark plugs now and wait till next week to replace the coils?

My car hesitates to gain speed and putts... I was wondering if I only replaced the spark plugs and not the ignition coils, will it get me through til next week until I'm ready to replace it fully?

A: Hi, thanks for writing in. Yes, that will n...

Hi, thanks for writing in. Yes, that will not be a problem at all. If the coil is tested and is within spec there is no reason to replace it at all - I recommend using it. A fouled spark plug doesn't necessarily mean the coil is bad. It would be worth testing the coils before buying something you don't need.

If you would consider, YourMechanic can send a certified technician to you and troubleshoot your ignition system and service your ignition coils and spark plugs as necessary. Good luck!