Q: Smoke; opening hood reveals flames - 2010 BMW 335d

I was driving about 20 mph when smoke emitted from the front driver’s side of my car. I merged over until I could get to the shoulder of the highway to examine my car. When I opened the hood, there were flames coming from the engine. I extinguished the fire and then immediately called for assistance. My car was towed to the dealership who reported the the emission valve had overheated. Before I allow them to proceed with any repair work, I would like your advice. What else could have caused this beside the emission valve? Thanks.

A: Sounds like either diesel fuel or oil leake...

Sounds like either diesel fuel or oil leaked on a hot exhaust manifold or turbocharger. I would press the dealer for a more thorough explanation. "Emission valve" is a rather vague term (Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve maybe?) Still not likely to cause a fire without fuel/oil. Sorry this happened to you.