Q: SMG transmission cannot be put into gear, fluid leaks

My car has an SMG transmission. The problems started occuring a couple of months ago so I went to the delership. They found and fixed a leak. Also, they added the SMG transmission fluid. After this was done, I noticed that there is a large amount of fluid leaked under the car. I tried to run the car, but I cannot put it into gear. What could be wrong here? Did they do a bad job or are the issues happening again?

Hello. It sounds to me like the problem was either misdiagnosed or improperly repaired. If the problem was misdiagnosed, the issue would still be occurring because it was never addressed in the first place. If the problem was improperly repaired, the issue may have been attempted to be resolved but the technician may not have done every step correctly.

Either way, my recommendation would be to take your vehicle back to the shop that performed the repair and ask them to reassess the issue. If the problem was misdiagnosed, you should be able to get your money back. If the problem was improperly repaired, the issue you are having should be under warranty and the issue should be repaired free of charge. If you would rather not have this done by the same mechanic, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the gear shifting issue in order to have this resolved.

3. SMG transmission cannot be put into gear, fluid leaks