Q: Sluggish shifting

asked by on March 25, 2016

I have an oil leak. And the manual transmission shifts sluggishly.

Oil leaks, unfortunately, will only get worse over time. So identifying the type and source of the leak will be vital to the overall health of the vehicle. Some possibilities on the engine would be the valve cover area, the oil pan, or even a crankshaft or camshaft seal. As far the shifting concern two common possibilities would be either an issue with the clutch not fully disengaging due to a possible issue in the clutch hydraulic system, or there is a problem with worn shift linkage in the transmission.

The clutch system will need to be inspected to ensure the clutch is fully disengaging. If the clutch does not disengage fully it will increase the difficulty of shifting the transmission. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, who will have the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair both the oil leak and the transmission shifting issue,