Q: Q: Is my transmission failing?

My 2009 Audi A4 started making a high humming noise at high speed (30-60mph). It sounded like it was coming from the transmission. It is related to road speed and not engine speed. The noise does not change with any steering or brake input. It has slowly been getting worse, and is now loud between 20 and 60mph. It sounds like a ring and pinion wearing funny. Every now and then when the car is close to idle and slow speeds, the engine stalls out. Otherwise, the engine works flawlessly. All transmission fluids and diff fluids have been checked. It seems to be trans related, but it hard to pin point. When the car is off the ground, the noise seems to go away a little.

Can anybody confirm this is actually failing? Thanks.

97 Thousand miles is pretty early for a transmission failure on your car, but not unheard of. Your description of the sound actually made me think of a front wheel bearing, though I wouldn’t usually describe a wheel bearing as "high" pitched. That being said: if you’ve had the fluid changed and the shop didn’t use the VW transmission fluid, that will usually result in a whining noise in the transmission. Another thing that can happen is that the seal between the final drive and the transmission section can fail and allow differential oil to contaminate the transmission fluid. You’re at a point where you need to have a professional take this car for a drive and get under it and give a good listen. If you contact Your Mechanic, they can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Audi and let you know what it’s going to take to fix it.

3. Q: Is my transmission failing?