Q: Interior lights are not working

asked by on May 15, 2016

The interior lights in my car aren't working. The dash and radio lights are fine, but no roof lights or visor/mirror lights. Could it be the fuse? I did change the fuse, and at first the lights worked, but then after going for a drive, they went out again. The fuse keeps burning out. Is there something else that could cause this? Is it an electrical problem? I put in yet another fuse, and went for a drive, touched all the buttons and then parked it. The next day the lights all worked, then my wife took it to work and on her drive home, the lights stopped working again. I put in another fuse and took it to work, and then on the way home the lights again stopped worked. This is very puzzling. Any ideas?

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The most likely cause of this issue would be a short to ground somewhere in the interior lighting system. If a wire has too much metal exposed and it is coming in contact with the vehicle’s chassis, excess amperage is allowed to flow through the interior light circuit which then blows the fuse. The two most common places that interior lights can get a short to ground would be where the sun visors connect to the headliner and where the doors connect to the car. Since these areas are on a swivel of some sort, the wiring is moving when these items are used. This creates a lot more potential for damaged wiring.

I would recommend having a qualified mechanic inspect your electrical system for shorts and relay their findings over to you.