Car shuts off after shakea when idling and also when rev...

Q: Car shuts off after shakea when idling and also when reversing. What could be the problem?

asked by on June 14, 2017

When I was driving the other day after getting my oil topped off the car started shaking and kind of puttering kind of motion started to happen.Then when I was idling at a stoplight the same motions happened and only the engine turned off but the power stayed on.I put in park and turned the key off then on again.It started up.I didn't wanna get on the freeway so I drove around and it was fine. Then I went to turn around and the car started the putter motion and again shut off the same way.I did the same thing again and it worked. It kept making the putter motion so I drove home. Next day I woke up and car was fine.No motion.Not shutting off.Then when i got home after work the car was in reverse then started making the putter motions and shut off two more times before I could complete the parking job.I have no idea what the problem could be.The engine light is on but for the O2 Sensor that needs to be replaced.The exhaust manifold was just replaced and the oil still has 1500 miles left

If the check engine light is on indicating that the O2 senor needs to be replaced, this could explain the shaking and stalling depending on the functionality of the O2 sensor. As you may know the oxygen sensors which are part of your emissions system read exhaust gases to determine whether or not the appropriate amount of oxygen is present in the exhaust. Based upon this reading, this information is relayed to the car’s ECU which then makes a determination as to whether or not to add more or less fuel to the engine. When too much or too little oxygen is present, this will cause check engine light to come on. Too much oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas due to things like an exhaust leak, a vacuum leak, a faulty mass air flow sensor (causing a lean fuel condition) or faulty fuel injectors. Too little oxygen may be present in the exhaust gas may be caused by things like a clogged air filter, a failing mass air flow sensor (causing too much fuel to be introduced to the motor), bad fuel injectors or a clogged catalytic converter. When the O2 sensor is not working properly, this will cause false readings to be relayed to the computer causing inaccurate adjustments to be made to the intake and fuel system in your engine. I would suggest having an expert from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your emissions system.