Q: Slow speed increase, check engine light on

asked by on June 23, 2016

I recently filled the gas tank with Premium and continued driving the car. Several minutes later, the dashboard showed the check engine light on. I tried to accelerate but it seemed slow to gather speed. The speed just wouldn't increase although the RPM was high. It won't go over 55 mph and it's as if there is no shifting to higher gears. What could be the underlying cause?

Car is slow to accelerate Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If this occurred right after getting gas then you may have gotten contaminated fuel. If it has some water or some diesel in it then this will occur. Some of the time a fuel pump can fail after getting gas if it was at a very low level. I typically scan the computer for codes first. This would tell me if there is something else going on. Then I would check the condition of the fuel and check the fuel pressure to see where the problem is. If you need to have this fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your car’s acceleration problems.