Q: Shuddering and chugging after the car sat a few days

If I park the car and let it sit for a few days, it runs very weird when I start it the next time. It starts shuddering considerably. Also, it makes awfully loud noise, like chugging. I tried starting it yesterday after it sat, and there was chugging and shuddering. Then, it shut off. I had to leave for a while but when I got back, I tried to start it. It cranked and started immediately. What might cause this?

Hello there, thanks for writing in about your 1997 Geo Metro. This sounds like the fuel system is not holding pressure while the vehicle simply sits. There is a check valve in the fuel line that holds pressure, allowing your engine to start quickly when cranking it. If you want to have this looked at, A YourMechanic professional can inspect the shuddering condition, and replace the check valve if necessary.