Q: Should I replace my radiator?

Hi Guys,

Rat problems caused major damage and ate through many tubes and hoses. My son drove fifteen minutes on a dry radiator...stopped once, then drove another five minutes. Same coming back at end of day. Local mechanic found the issue- suggested that we had a warped engine and/or blown head. Since this time, we replaced all spark plug wires and hoses effected by hungry rats. It sat for a month or so.

We just took it out for a spin- filled with water and after 20 minutes of good driving came back and saw the radiator leak. I know the radiator needs replaced and the water in the reservoir is very rusty. So question is the value of replacing the radiator. Guessing it could be about 350 or so, unless I do it myself...which may end up being twice that :)

Warped head is an unknown...should i take it to a dealer or another trusted mechanic to find out...or just replace the radiator...or just auction it off or get what I can per pound?

Thanks in advance, tm

Hi there. Other than the coolant leak, how did it run? If it ran fine with the exception of the coolant leak, then a proper test on the engine mechanical could determine if there is any damage. I suggest a good coolant flush of the cooling system in addition to the radiator. When you place water only into the system rust can form and can cause eventual damage. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection on the engine to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and perform the radiator replacement and coolant flush. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a radiator replacement, coolant flush service, and check for overheating damage of the engine.

3. Should I replace my radiator?