Q: Shifter moves in n out of gear without key in ignition or brake pedal depressed

There is a problem with ignition, it wont turn back into AC position, n I believe its actually stayin partially if not all the way in the on position, but I can remove it easily. Not sure if this is part of problem with the transmission shifter or not tho. The shift lever moves tru the positions without the key in the ignition or the brake pedal depressed. The cable n linkage all appear to be working correctly. When moved out of park the car will roll, when placed back in park the car doesnt move, so i dont believe its in the transmission. Having trouble starting car as well. Could this all be in the ignition? Or is it a bigger issue i'm not seeing.

The shifter linkage may have worn out bushings on one or both of the ends keeping the shifter from going all the way to park. Check the cable ends for worn out bushings. If they are worn then have them replaced and see if the ignition now turns off. If this is something you want to have done for you, a qualified professional, such as one form YourMechanic, can come to your home or work to diagnose the problem for you.

• Shifter moves in n out of gear without key in ignition or brake pedal depressed