Q: Shift lever locked - 2006 Volvo S40

I have never had any problem ever with shift lever. It happened suddenly. The lever locked at neutral and didn't move neither up nor down. It move easily between R and P . It also goes easily from D up to N. but in N it locks tightly. I called RSA and the guy pushed it very hard and moved it to drive position. In order to release that I need to use all my force which cause a bad sound. I wonder what's wrong with the transmission and how much would it cost for me to repair that? Thanks

Hi there. The shifter in your vehicle has a lock solenoid that locks the shifter in Park until the key is in the ignition and the power is turned on. You will need to remove the shifter from the vehicle and replace the lock solenoid. If you need further assistance troubleshooting your vehicle, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can assist you with your vehicle.