Q: Shaking sputtering and fluctuating RPMS

Hi my name is PVT Yandell and I recently bought a car that was running perfectly. I started it up this morning and it's sputtering shaking and the rpms keep fluctuating when I'm at idle it worries me because every time I come to a stop light it starts the process and feels like it's about to shut off on me I just bought it and it is 2000 miles over due for an oil change and the service engine light just came on. It was running great it also hasn't been driven in a while I'm sure as it was sitting in a garage previously...

Hi There, It sounds like you may have a dirty or failing idle air control valve causing your engine idle to fluctuate and eventually stall. The idle air control valve is a small valve on the engine’s intake system that reads the air intake as it comes into the motor. This is controlled by the car’s ECM which uses this information to make adjustments to the air/fuel ratio depending on various inputs such as outside air temperature, intake air temperature, load and various other things. As you accelerate, your car’s engine is receiving a much higher dose of fuel than when at idle and conversely, when you let off the gas pedal, there is a sudden change in this fuel supply as a result of your foot letting off the pedal. When this happens, the job of the idle air control valve is to bring this deceleration down to a slow and smooth idle rather than suddenly cutting off the fuel supply causing the motor to die. When the idle air control valve is not working properly, this cause a disruption in this process resulting in the engine not being able to idle properly. I would recommend having a professional come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Shaking sputtering and fluctuating RPMS