Q: Seven warnings came on, can't shift from park to drive - 2001 Mercedes Benz CL600

Yesterday, the message board in my car started showing seven warnings. Those include the check engine light, brake assist, SRS, ABS, active body control, ESP and speed distronic warnings. I tried starting the car and it runs rough. Also, I'm unable to shift from park into gear. What do you think might be the cause of this?

Hello. From the symptoms you describe it would appear that your vehicle may possibly have a faulty stoplight switch. The stoplight switch lets the computer know that the brakes are being applied, so that the vehicle can be safely shifted. A bad stoplight switch can cause the vehicle to be stuck in park, as well as set off the warning lights. However, it is likely not the cause of your engine running rough. A rough running engine can be caused by a wide variety of issues, so a proper diagnosis would be required. I would recommend having an expert retrieve the trouble codes with a scan tool, and replacing the brake light switch if it is bad.

3. Seven warnings came on, can't shift from park to drive - 2001 Mercedes Benz CL600