Q: Serpentine belt broke on 2011 ford fiesta, I am being told pieces got up in crankshaft and they a recommending engine replacement.

asked by on July 12, 2017

The serpentine belt on my Ford Fiesta broke a hose ruptured due to overheating I had it towed to the dealership they put the new serpentine belt on and told me pieces from the old belt got up in the crankshaft and they are recommending a new motor, do I need a second opinion on this because the car seems to be running fine now and some people have told me that this isn't even possible

The crankshaft is inaccessible as it is contained entirely within the solid metal (cast iron, steel or aluminum) engine block. Consequently, no external drive belt can interfere with, or even touch, the crankshaft. A harmonic balancer is bolted to the snout of the crankshaft and if the drive belt broke, I suppose it’s possible that bits of broken belt material could get stuck between the balancer and the front cover of the engine but the problem that poses is trivial as you can just simply remove the broken bits of belt material. A new engine is only necessary if there is something seriously wrong with your old one and in your case you seem to be indicating the car runs pretty good. Overheating is hard on engines, and can damage them, but if there were damage, such is detectable and can be also be tested for. If you car overheated, you do want to be wary about possible heat related damage to the engine cooling thermostat and sometimes sensors can be damaged by high heat, such as the crankshaft position sensor. The bottom line is you may be OK, but if you want a certified mechanic to check the engine and give you a definitive, professional answer as to its current condition, please feel free to request a vehicle inspection - engine focus area. Please let us know if you have further concerns or questions as we are always here to help you.