Q: Security, ABS, and service engine lights on - 2002 Saturn L100

The security, ABS, and service engine lights have come on in my car. The diagnostic codes are U1000 class 2 serial communication problem and U1064 Loss of communication with DIM. I will not be able to get my car to the repair shop until next week. Could you please tell me what these codes mean and if it will be safe to drive my car until next week? Thank you.

Hello. It sounds to me like you are having an electrical/computer issue with your vehicle. Usually a computer issue that does not prevent the vehicle from running is okay to drive still. Most computer issues only prevent things from working. No serious damage can usually occur due to a computer issue. The most common cause would be a broken or loose wire near one of the control modules of your vehicle. It is also possible that something simply came unplugged. I think you will be okay to drive your vehicle until you can get it to the shop since the engine runs fine and the ABS is not required for normal driving conditions. If you would an expert to come to you, a certified professional from YourMechanic can perform an inspection of the warning lights at your home or office to have these issues diagnosed and repaired.

3. Security, ABS, and service engine lights on - 2002 Saturn L100