Q: 2001 Acura cl s won't hold any gear except park. Acts like a false neutral. Before this happened it didn't slip out of gear at the

asked by on August 17, 2017

2001 Acura cl type s Worked perfectly and one day it just down shifted bad and wouldn't change gear. Stopped and restarted it and it worked fine again for a few days then did it again. Now my car won't hold any gear besides park and a false neutral in all gears. I've replaced the TC checked and cleaned all solenoids, replaced speed sensors, both pressure switches. Flushed my transmission completely fluid is red now before I replaced and cleaned everything it was a dirty brown. The only other thing I can think of is the neutral safety switch. Can anyone help??? I never slipped gear at all so I don't believe it's mechanical

Hi Tyler. If the transmission fluid was a dirty brown when it was replaced, it’s possible that you’ve got an inner seal that is faulty - or the transmission fluid filter is corroded, creating a blockage inside hydraulic lines. I would agree that a neutral safety switch could cause the symptoms you are describing. If you haven’t changed the transmission filter, you might want to start by completing this, replace the neutral safety switch, but also double check all the electrical harnesses and connections to those sensors, as typically those also tend to fail overtime.