Q: Sat years won't start. 1971 Chevrolet Chevelle

My Chevelle was parked for 2 years, and before that I had driven it. So I decided I wanted to drive it again. I put in new spark plugs, 5 gallons of gas with a high octane booster and new battery. The oil looks clean. The fuel pump is sending gas to the carburetor. I removed the fuel line from the fuel pump, and the gas drained from the port. Then I felt ready try starting the car. I put in the key turned it. The engine turned over, but it won’t start. What else should I do to get my car running?

A: Hello. It sounds like the carburetor is eit...

Hello. It sounds like the carburetor is either gummed up or there is no spark. I usually check for spark first. If there is no spark, then there may be an issue with the distributor wiring or the rotor. I usually check that first. If there is spark then I make sure fuel is entering the engine through the carburetor. If it has spark and fuel, then I check the timing. That will usually present the problem unless there is something else electrical going on. If you are going to have it fixed, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to diagnose the starting problem and let you know what needs repair.