Q: Chain needs to be replaced

My compact SUV has about 58,000 miles. The repair shop says that it needs a replacement timing chain. Then they told me they would have to keep it for three days. Why would it take such a long time to replace a chain, if it's already in stock?

A: The reason a timing chain can take so long ...

The reason a timing chain can take so long at a shop is because of the large amount of labor that it entails to perform a repair of that caliber. Many parts will need to be removed in order to access the timing cover, which will also need to be removed to access the timing chain. This is also due to the fact that mechanics that work in shops are also working on other vehicles at the same time as your vehicle. This repair can sometimes involve the draining and refilling of the engine oil and coolant which also adds time to the job. YourMechanic offers mobile mechanics who can come to your home or office and perform repairs, such as a timing chain replacements, usually on the same day.