Q: Rubber mount or hydraulic mount

asked by on July 05, 2017

I have Honda Accord 2007. My mechanic says I need to change mounts. I am not sure about the difference of engine mount and motor mounts. Are they different? The problem with my car is it's vibrating when idle. I have an appointment from your mechanic to change mounts. Can I request hydraulic mount for my car?

Engine mount and motor mount are completely interchangeable terms that refer to the identical component. There is an additional mount though and that is the transaxle or transmission mount. That mount is important, too, in minimizing vibration. For ordinary passenger cars, there are no choices as to mount type (i.e., hydraulic versus solid rubber). Vibration at idle can have multiple causes so you should be sure that the mechanic has provided you with an accurate diagnostic, accompanied by reasoning as to why the mounts are the cause of the vibration versus other potential causes.

In your circumstance, where you are trying to resolve a vibration issue, it is recommended that the original OEM mounts, as designed and manufactured by Honda, be used as the replacements. If you use aftermarket mounts, and the vibration issue persists, it will literally be impossible to rule out the aftermarket mounts as a "new" source of vibration due to a defective design. To save yourself headaches, and further diagnostic problems if the vibration persists after replacement, if you suspect motor mounts are bad, replace with OEM mounts only. Obviously, the Honda mounts are going to be more expensive though. After replacing the mounts, if the vibration issue persists, the problem is either engine running condition, or a mechanical or balance issue with the engine, for example the harmonic balancer. Before doing anything, I would ask the mechanic who told you the mounts are bad what his reasoning is. If he has no credible explanation, you should get a diagnostic FIRST before replacing any parts. If you are in need of a diagnostic, please use YourMechanic’s vehicle engine vibration diagnostic service page. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.