Q: RPM revs too high but low acceleration - Answer only if you can list out culprits & rule out some as well looking at the case.

asked by on February 13, 2018

I own a VW/Skoda make 1.6L MT petrol car. This issue started after I went through a heavy waterlogged road and post that the car had hydraulic lock the next day which I got released by mechanic and got the car serviced which included filters changing and transmission oil change.(Without Flush) I can see RPM going high and low acceleration and speed in shorter gears and, I need to slot in to a gear high much sooner. The speed rises in high gear due to an early shift. But then since RPM shoots much higher in first and second gear, I need to shift sooner. I know clutch might be weak as it is driven 26000 miles done but then I dont feel like changing it so soon. Any other factors which I need to get it checked ? Can servicing the transmission and changing the fluid help? Can MAF and fuel system cleaning help ? It happened from the moment I got hydraulic lock removed and got the car service done. Additionally, the car has no engine issues,no gear shift issue and no ECU codes.

If you are not getting any check engine light then you do not need to change any sensors. It sounds like your clutch is slipping and may need to be replaced. A slipping clutch will cause the engine to rev high when slipping and vehicle will not accelerate as it should.