Q: RPM gauge goes from 5K to 2K - 2005 Nissan Maxima

When I'm accelerate the rpm gauge goes to 5 then back 2. The engine also makes a loud noise when it does it. My friend told me it could be the torque converter. Could that be the issue

Hi - it seems unlikely that a major drop in RPM during a shift is torque converter clutch lockup - 5K to 4K might be more reasonable. This behavior seems more like an upshift that is missing a gear - perhaps 1st to 3rd or similar. This would indicate a serious problem with the internal speed sensors, valve body or solenoids within the transmission. I would recommend transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.