Q: RPM gauge goes from 5K to 2K - 2005 Nissan Maxima

When I'm accelerate the rpm gauge goes to 5 then back 2. The engine also makes a loud noise when it does it. My friend told me it could be the torque converter. Could that be the issue

Hi - it seems unlikely that a major drop in RPM during a shift is torque converter clutch lockup - 5K to 4K might be more reasonable. This behavior seems more like an upshift that is missing a gear - perhaps 1st to 3rd or similar. This would indicate a serious problem with the internal speed sensors, valve body or solenoids within the transmission. I would recommend transmission inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. RPM gauge goes from 5K to 2K - 2005 Nissan Maxima