Q: Replacing standard manual mirrors with folding tow mirrors.

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado LT with standard manual mirrors. I would like to replace the mirrors with the newest version of the gm tow mirrors that are automatic folding. These new mirrors have running lights on the front, cargo lamp LEDs and turn signal leds built in as well as having the motorized folding component and heated glass. My research has shown that I would need a new mirror adjust switch for the driverside door panel. The new switch of course including the mirror folding button. Is this all that is needed? Could I plug a new switch in, plug the mirrors into the existing harness and realistically expect everything to work? Would I need a new wiring harness to get all components of the mirrors to work? Would I need to run any wires myself or is there a pre wired harness that would make everything work?

Hi there. You would need to install the switch to allow the mirrors to fold out. Plus you will also need to install a switch for the heaters in the mirrors. For the lights that are to work in the mirrors, you will need to find the wiring in your vehicle that go to the parking lights and turn signal lights and route new wires to the mirrors. This will allow the mirror lights to operate as if they were part of the vehicle as a factory item. Make sure that you change the fuse up to 5 amps more to accommodate for the mirror lights. Make sure that you hide the wiring in the dash or carpeting to keep them out of site. If you need further assistance with installing the wiring to your new mirrors, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Replacing standard manual mirrors with folding tow mirrors.