Q: Replaced thermostat still reading higher than normal

My vehicle began to overheat. I changed the thermostat and deal and it is still heating up more than normal. I don't see any leaks. What is weird is when I got my brakes the temp goes up but when I step back on the gas it drastically drops..... what is going on

The problem is most likely a bad cooling fan clutch which is not turning fast enough at idle. When you also rev the engine it increases the fan and water pump. Check to see if the fan clutch passes the "tissue" test. This is done by placing a tissue in front of the center of the A/C condenser while someone is holding the engine at about 1200 rpm. Put the tissue on the condenser with the fan to see if the tissue holds in place. Then let the engine idle and the tissue should not fall. If it does, replace the fan clutch. Be sure to stay clear of any moving parts or fans.

If you need some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come perform these checks to diagnose your overheating issue and make the necessary repairs. Good luck.