Q: Repair costs and worth? Resell?

General questions as to how much a cylinder misfire, spark plugs o2 sensor, and catalytic converter replacement would cost total? And what's needed for sure to pass an emissions test?

Spark plugs on your vehicle should be replaced every 30,000 miles, if they are of the non-platinum type and every 60,000 miles if they are platinum plugs. To obtain service on the spark plugs, please request spark plug replacement. Oxygen sensors and catalytic converters should not be condemned and replaced unless and until a specific diagnostic has been performed on these components. A proper diagnostic avoids needless replacement and the associated cost. However, if the oxygen sensor has been installed on your vehicle for 100,000 miles or more, it is not unreasonable to save money on the diagnostic and just replace the oxygen sensor outright (oxygen sensors do eventually degrade). That is not the case with the catalytic converter though if the converter has not been subject to contamination and is not rusted out. There are many, many causes of cylinder misfiring some incredibly mundane and cheap to fix, such as a bad spark plug that costs $5, on up to the more costly scenarios, such as a burnt valve (costly). In all probability, you will be in the lucky category, and so you should just simply get the cause of the misfiring diagnosed and get it repaired. Your car is way too new to be thinking about a replacement. My car is 26 years old; inasmuch as you have a 2005 model, that means you have another 14 years to go, at least.

Emissions testing these days follows a standard procedure, although there are some fine details. Broadly, the test station will link to your car’s On-Board Diagnostic (OBD-II) system. Vehicles will pass the OBD test if the OBD system is working, all required emissions system readiness checks have been completed and the MIL (check engine light or malfunction indicator lamp) is not on. Vehicles will fail the OBD test if the MIL is illuminated and DTCs (trouble codes) are present. Vehicles will also fail if the OBD system is inoperable or if the OBD connector is missing, damaged or inaccessible. To obtain new spark plugs, get a diagnosis, and repair of the misfire, and also deal with the oxygen sensor and catalytic converter issues, simply start by requesting a misfiring diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will get all of these issues taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic.

3. Repair costs and worth? Resell?