Q: Code 102 Mass Airflow Low Volts - 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

When I unplugged the mass Air flow sensor my car stalls does that mean the sensor is bad

Hello. The diagnostic code you are receiving is telling you the circuit is is not functioning within its normal voltage range. This is typically due to the sensor being bad, a faulty connection, or a dirty sensor. You can start be removing the sensor and attempting to clean it. Then reinstall and drive the vehicle for a few minutes to see if the warning light or code reappears. If it does, the mass airflow sensor will need to be replaced.

Removing the sensor and having the engine stall tells you the sensor is still performing part of its job, but is likely starting to fail or is contaminated. There is a chance the engine is having a more serious problem, but it very rare any of those issue would trigger this code. Clean the sensor, or replace it.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your location and give you a more personal diagnoses of your stalling issue. Best of luck.