Q: Reinstalled my transmission and now I hear a ticking noise.

I took out my transmission to replace a bad internal slave cylinder. I'm almost sure I put everything back correctly, but when I started it up I could hear a constant ticking noise like metal hitting metal and the noise was accelerating and decelerating with the engine. I drove it around the block and it ticked the whole time,wether i was in gear or not wether clutch was engaged or disengaged and regardless of speed. i then parked it back in my driveway. The next day when I started it there was no ticking or if there was I couldn't hear it. I began to drive the truck and still no ticking when I got to a speed of about 45 miles an hour the ticking came back. When I'm going 45 and it's ticking if I let off the gas it stops ticking and if I gas it hard it stops ticking. I'm not sure if this is possible but it almost sounds like the flywheel is hitting the bellhousing dust cover. Or maybe the starter?

Hi there. My guess would be that the flywheel is not properly installed; especially if the ticking noise rapidly increases as the engine RPM increases. If the noise is consistent regardless of the RPM, it’s probably a loose bracket or something else besides the transmission. If you can’t find the source of the ticking noise and need a second opinion, please feel free to contact one of our mobile mechanics to complete a car is making a noise inspection.

3. Reinstalled my transmission and now I hear a ticking noise.