Q: Red triangle with exclamation, car not picking speed and makes rattling noise upon acceleration

Red triangle with exclamation. Car not picking speed and makes a rattling noise upon acceleration.

Hello. A red triangle with an exclamation point can be displayed for a range of different reasons. One of the most common causes is low engine oil. I would check the engine’s oil level to make sure that it is not low as this could set off the warning light, as well as cause potential damage to the engine. If the message is displayed and engine performance seems to be negatively affected then it may be possible that the issues are engine management or fuel system related. Perhaps a bad fuel pump or engine management sensor are starving the engine for fuel and setting off the warning. Retrieving the trouble codes would likely shed some light on what the issue could be. Closely examining the engine while it is running could help determine where the rattling noise might be coming from, and if it is related to the performance issues. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, visit your location to diagnose what may be causing your issues.

3. Red triangle with exclamation, car not picking speed and makes rattling noise upon acceleration