Q: Rear suspension arm bushing has play

I have a vibration that occurs at ~55mph or over but only when veering/turning left at these speeds. I also feel what seems to be the same vibration from the same area (rear of car) when braking at these speeds. I hear the braking noise at lower speeds than the vibration occurs also, though at highway speeds I feel it in the pedal and at lowers speeds it's more like just a 'chatter'. 2 weeks ago it occurred when turning right. I have had 4 new tires installed and balanced, a 4 wheel alignment, new pads/rotors in front and new drums/shoes/springs in back. Now it occurs when turning left (though I still feel a very slight vibration when veering right but it's barely noticeable at all). I have discovered that the rear wheels (source of the noise/vibration) have some play when I hold them at 3 and 9 and move them in and out. I can see where the rear suspension arm meets the axle carrier there is some play in the bushing(~1/8 inch) when moving the tire. Could this be the cause?

A: Any amount of play in suspension components...

Any amount of play in suspension components can cause noise and/or vibrations. Duties of bushings are not only to keep suspension components to the chassis, but also to isolate you from noise. If the bushings are worn/broken, then you can hear added noise. They will also effect directional stability of the car. You "turn" the car with the steering wheel and front wheels but the rear wheels actually "steer" the car. If rear suspension components are loose/worn, then no matter how good the wheel alignment was set on an alignment rack, once those suspension components start moving around on the road, the car will track whatever direction those components move to. To have this verified, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your car's location to diagnose the vibration and determine what repairs are needed.