Q: Rear differential yoke leaking

Just had mechanic replace rear pinion seal because of leak. Began leaking less than 20 miles of driving and under a day. Now they are saying it is the rear yoke that has play and is causing the seal to get torn up. What extra labor is actually involved versus the pinion seal replacement?

If the seal rides on the shaft of the yoke, the yoke would be removed anyway to replace the seal, so there would be no extra labor to install a new yoke were the yoke worn. If the play is so great that the seal tears, such would have been obvious during the repair if the mechanic had performed the REQUIRED inspection. I hope you paid by credit card because if a mechanic installs a seal in a defective assembly, that a person of reasonable skill should have detected, obviously you are entitled to a 100% refund. Going forward, whoever does the job has to inspect further because the wear may not be confined to the shaft of the yoke but may involve an internal bushing (or bearing as well). If you desire that a trained professional perform this repair please request pinion shaft seal inspection/replacement and a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will get this inspected and resolved for you. Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. Rear differential yoke leaking